Whichever TEFL destination you choose to do the course, you can be assured of a spectacular location. Choose Bali for a tropical surf beach vibe, or Siem Reap for its rich culture and proximity to the world heritage site of Angkor Wat Temple Complex … or, bustling Bangkok, a city that never sleeps and the travel hub of Asia.
There’s a reason Thailand has more than 30 million visitors a year. Whether it’s a tropical beach, exotic jungle, quaint village, or bustling city destination you’re after, you’ll find it in Thailand.
The capital city of Bangkok, (Krung Thep in Thai) is the main port and serves as a gateway and principal destination for the majority of tourists who visit Thailand, as well as being a travel hub to the rest of Asia. It’s where many TEFL teachers start their teach abroad experience … and you can too, let your journey begin at our training centre in Bangkok.
Why do your TEFL course in Bangkok, Thailand?
Bangkok, also known as Thailand’s ‘City of Angels’ is a place where you can marvel at the glories of the past, and delight in the golden opportunities of the present. Bangkok has wonderfully preserved its spectacular heritage attributes, which is evident from the soaring roofs and gleaming spires of the Grand Palace and the city’s many historic temples – Temple of the Emerald Buddha, Temple of Dawn, and other inspiring shrines. With more than 100 skyscrapers, Bangkok ranks 17th as the world’s tallest city and has approximately ten million inhabitants. Experience the ‘Bangkok’s buzz’, and you are hooked! There’s so much to see and do, you’ll never be bored.
But there’s more to Thailand than Bangkok.
If it’s islands you are after you’ll find them in the Gulf of Thailand (Koh Samui, Koh Phangan, Koh Tao, and the Angthong National Marine Park) or the Andaman Coast (Phuket, Koh Phi Phi). Those keen to explore the natural wonders should visit the Khao Yai National Park, where you can still see Asian elephants in the wild. Head north to Chiang Mai or Chiang Rai to see temples and markets, or to Sukhothai or Ayutthaya for heritage and history.
Thailand is known as the ‘Land of Smiles’ due to its friendly locals. And of course, how do we speak of Thailand without mentioning the food! Thailand is world-renowned for its street food, where you’ll find everything imaginable grilled on a stick and hot off the grill. On a sweltering day, there’s nothing better than a fresh, spicy, and tangy somtam – (green papaya salad) or, if you have a sweet tooth, a Nutella and banana pancake, or fresh tropical fruit.
- Our TEFL course in Bangkok, Thailand exceeds all international criteria, with emphasis placed on practical teaching experience. Our directors and trainers have 50 + years of combined experience in both TEFL as well as gap year programs.
- Our TEFL course trainers in Bangkok are highly qualified.
- All of the learning at our training centre in Bangkok is done hands-on through games and interactive activities. You will never just be lectured to, but will always be involved in every lesson. The theory in the course is presented by the trainer using games, activities, and strategies that you will then be able to use in your own teaching, allowing you to build your portfolio of activities and teaching tools from day one. Your observed teacher practicums will start from week two when you’ll be able to apply these techniques yourself. We limit our numbers at our TEFL centre in Bangkok to small groups so that we can offer personal assistance with lesson planning and any area you may need help with such as grammar etc. Our practical training includes both youth and adult lessons, at various schools and businesses in Bangkok. Should your course be over a school holiday, we’ll use the same children, but teach them in the form of a summer camp.
- If you sign up for one of our ‘course plus placement’ packages, we’ll assist you with job placement and preparation. **conditions apply, note that you need a bachelor’s degree is required to get a work permit as a teacher in Thailand. If you don’t have a degree, you can still do the course and we can assist you with job placement in Cambodia**
- We have a low student to instructor ratio on our TEFL/TESOL course in Bangkok, which ensures that students get quality attention. This means that you will always have someone to assist with lesson planning or to give you extra attention in any areas you may need assistance.
- Our TEFL trainers in Thailand will provide you with the support you need to compile lesson plans. You also have access to resources such as free internet, a library of teaching books as well as printing and copying facilities on site.
- Save money on travelling to teacher practices in Bangkok (TPs) – we will transport you there, and we have students coming to our training centre for lessons.
- Choose Bangkok as your TEFL course destination for its rich culture, vibe, endless things to do and being the travel hub of Southeast Asia. You’ll never be bored in the city that never sleeps!
- Our Thailand TEFL course package includes many extras, including airport collection, personal assistance with your CV/resumé, stationery and supplies, a cultural tour, Thai language lessons, and more.
- We are genuinely interested in our students, and don’t view them as just numbers. We stay in touch with students after each course, whether they stay in Thailand or move on to other countries. and get regular updates on their teaching careers and travels. Many of our job leads come from past students for this reason.
- We have connections with many schools and agencies, not only in Thailand, but in our other course locations, as well as a private Facebook group where job listings are posted, ONLY to our graduates. This means that you have up-to-date info on current jobs available, with many of these agents contacting us before listing the jobs elsewhere.
- Our reviews for our TEFL course in Bangkok on GoOverseas and GoAbroad say it all!
The terms basically mean the same, with TEFL more common in the UK, and TESOL more common in America. There is a slight technical difference since TESOL refers to learners whose first language is not English, although they may speak English in their daily lives. TEFL refers to ‘foreign’ students, learning English as a foreign language. These students do not use English regularly and therefore have different usage and comprehension problems. The course in Bangkok, Thailand covers both aspects, and our TEFL certificates mention TEFL/TESOL.
We understand that it may have been a while since you studied grammar at school. However, as a native speaker, you already know grammar quite well, it’s more the terminology that you may not know. We can send you an easy-to-use grammar workbook before you start the TEFL course in Thailand so that you can brush up in your own time prior to the start of the course. During the course in Bangkok, we work through this material to ensure that you are familiar with grammar as well as its terminology before you become a teacher.
No. Destination TEFL/ TESOL Thailand uses the international standard communicative approach to teaching, where English is the only language used in the classroom. These methods are thoroughly explained and practiced during the course in Bangkok. This means that you will be able to use your new TEFL qualification to travel the world and finance this wanderlust by teaching.
Applications are welcomed regardless of first language or nationality. However, as we believe that in order to teach English well, you need to KNOW English well, the only requirements are a proficient level of both spoken and written English and an understanding of the intensive nature of the course. Please be aware that some schools will only employ NATIVE English speakers (NES). We cannot guarantee placements for non-native speakers (NNES). If you are unsure, let’s set up a video interview before you sign up so we can see your level of English and therefore employment prospects as an ESL teacher in Thailand. Note that for the work permit as a teacher in Thailand, you’ll need a high TOEIC or IETLS score if your passport is not from one of the official NES countries. This is a requirement for South African teachers in Thailand too. It’s possible to do the TOEIC test in Bangkok.
We have no official upper age limit for the TEFL course in Bangkok, but you must be 20 years of age or older for your application to be considered. We may consider school leavers aged 18-19 years, based on a video interview – however note that it’s unlikely that someone of this age has a bachelor’s degree, so therefore placement cannot be in Thailand. If you are a person of ‘more mature years’, don’t let this put you off applying. If you are receptive to learning, you should have no problems. We have many mature students taking ‘Golden Gap Years’, not quite ready to retire yet, and see the adventure of a new life as a TEFL teacher in Thailand.
NOTE: Some employers may have an upper age limit, especially if the job is with younger children, due to the energy level required for this kind of teaching, therefore our job guarantee for NES has an upper limit of 55 years of age, due to restrictions at some schools. The retirement age for local teachers in Thailand is 60 years of age, so placements over this age for foreign teachers can be difficult too.
Yes. Upon successful completion of our 4-week TEFL course, you will receive a certificate which is recognised worldwide. Destination TEFL Thailand’s course meets and exceeds the basic international criteria, as we offer 140 hours of classroom time and observed teaching practice. You will also receive a detailed report card, and those who obtain merit or higher, will receive a personalised letter of recommendation.
Work is available almost anywhere in the world where English is not the native language. There are many opportunities within Asia specifically, but not exclusively. Some countries require teachers to have a bachelor’s degree (any) as well as a TEFL qualification – this is the case in Thailand. A list can be provided on request. Many of our graduates choose to teach online after the course, which is a good option for those travelling – a good internet connection is required, and we supply a list of online agencies to our graduates. Should you not have a bachelor’s degree, we can assist with job placement in Cambodia where you can LEGALLY teach without a bachelor’s degree.
If you sign up and are accepted onto one of our ‘course plus placement programs’ and pass the course, we offer teaching placement assistance, and in most cases, can guarantee a job after the course (conditions apply).
Interested in teaching in Cambodia, Vietnam or Indonesia after the course in Thailand? Placement assistance is offered, should you meet the following criteria:
If you’re from one of the official native English-speaking (NES) countries (only UK, Ireland, USA, NZ, Aus, Canada and SA), if you have a university degree, and are under 55 years old, and if you obtain at least a high merit on the course. NOTE: South Africans also require a TOEIC or IELTS score at NES level.
Please note: Legally, to work as a teacher in Indonesia, Thailand, or Vietnam, you also need to have a university degree in order to obtain a work permit.
Yes, the course is intensive, and you will need to commit yourself to some independent study and lesson planning time outside of the classroom, but we schedule quite a bit of time within the 4-week TEFL course for planning and preparation. If you balance your workload and make good use of your time in the classroom, you will have weekends to enjoy the sights around Bangkok and surrounding areas, including day or overnight trips on the weekend. Our training centre and accommodation options are centrally located within Bangkok for evenings out.
- An open mind and sense of humour!
- Your ORIGINAL degree and transcripts, authenticated, a requirement for the work permit.
- Your prepared CV/resumé, and we’ll assist you in tweaking it for the local job market in Thailand.
- A police clearance certificate or a criminal background check is often required to apply for a work permit as a teacher. Please ensure you get one before coming to Thailand. The process is different depending on where you are from.
- We provide some stationery. Bringing a laptop or tablet (whichever you find easier to work on) will make your time on the course, as well as afterwards as a teacher in Thailand MUCH easier. You’ll need to do research and resource for lesson plans, type up lesson plans, etc. We do have computers at the training centre in Bangkok, but these are for printing purposes only. Afterwards, you will really need one for teaching, so we strongly suggest you bring something with you.
- Everything else as per normal travel requirements and personal effects for your journey to Thailand.
- Be fully vaccinated against covid-19.
|Bangkok Full Onsite Course Dates|
|17 April 2023 to 11 May 2023|
|15 May 2023 to 08 June 2023|
|12 June 2023 to 06 July 2023|
|31 July 2023 to 24 August 2023|
|28 August 2023 to 21 September 2023|
|25 September 2023 to 19 October 2023|
|30 October 2023 to 23 November 2023|
|27 November 2023 to 21 December 2023|
|8 January 2024 to 1 February 2024|
|5 February 2024 to 29 February 2024|
|4 March 2024 to 28 March 2024|
|15 April 2024 to 9 May 2024|
|13 May 2024 to 6 June 2024|
|10 June 2024 to 4 July 2024|
|29 July 2024 to 22 August 2024|
|26 August 2024 to 19 September 2024|
|30 September 2024 to 24 October 2024|
|28 October 2024 to 21 November 2024|
|25 November 2024 to 19 December 2024|
|Bangkok TEFL Extension Dates|
|26 April 2023 to 11 May 2023|
|24 May 2023 to 08 June 2023|
|21 June 2023 to 06 July 2023|
|09 August 2023 to 24 August 2023|
|06 September 2023 to 21 September 2023|
|04 October 2023 to 19 October 2023|
|08 November 2023 to 23 November 2023|
|06 December 2023 to 21 December 2023|
|17 January 2024 to 1 February 2024|
|14 February 2024 to 29 February 2024|
|13 March 2024 to 28 March 2024|
|24 April 2024 to 9 May 2024|
|22 May 2024 to 6 June 2024|
|19 June 2024 to 4 July 2024|
|7 August 2024 to 22 August 2024|
|4 September 2024 to 19 September 2024|
|9 October 2024 to 24 October 2024|
|6 November 2024 to 21 November 2024|
|4 December 2024 to 19 December 2024|
4-week TEFL course schedule in Thailand
The schedule over the 4 weeks in Bangkok will include classroom days, cultural immersion outings and days off. (This timetable may be modified as required by the course director). Class times are generally from 9:00 in the morning to 4:00 in the afternoon but may be adapted depending on teaching practicums and other factors. Additional work such as resourcing for your classes and the lesson planning will need to be done either as teamwork or individually after hours.
The first two weeks will generally comprise input sessions on the techniques, strategies and theories, which you will then apply in an actual classroom setting.
In the second half of your course, you will be putting into practice everything you’ve been taught by teaching in a real classroom environment with observed teacher practicums with non-native English speaking students, and you’ll be given detailed feedback, with which to improve and grow.